World Backup Day was started in 2011 by digital consultant Ismail Jadun. It is celebrated on March 31st every year – a date chosen because it’s the day before April Fools Day…and of course you’d have to be a fool not to backup your data!
This especially recognized day is a strong reminder of how critical it is to back up all of your data. Regardless of the size of your organization, it’s likely that data is an essential aspect of running it. If you don’t yet have a solid plan to keep your data safe, there are three things you should consider:
- All humans make errors.
- Computer systems crash happen when you’re least prepared.
- Compliance requirements are becoming more complex
- Attacks and ransomware events are on the rise
In the event of any of the above situations, you need to have your data backed up and available.
Let’s celebrate World Backup Day the right way.
- That it is not if, but when a data loss occurs: Data loss occurs when data is accidentally deleted or something causes data to become corrupted. Viruses, physical damage or formatting errors can render data unreadable by both humans and software. In other instances, lost files and information cannot be recovered, making data loss prevention even more essential.
- Attacks and ransomware are more pervasive than ever: Cybercriminals are even smarter than they have ever been and realize the tremendous value of both personal and business data. It increasingly looks like data loss—at least for a time—is inevitable.
With a little extra initiative, there are reasons to believe that data can be protected and retrievable when needed. Today, backup and recovery solutions are simple to manage, affordable, flexible and non-intrusive.
Backups can truly make a difference when protecting your critical data. Organizations need to remember the golden rule of data protection when securing essential data: the 3-2-1 rule of backup. This rule stipulates that all backups should account for three instances of your data including:
- original copy and two backups
- two local copies on different types of backup media (ie. cloud)
- off-site storage solution in case of a natural disaster or other data catastrophe (i.e. securely encrypted in the cloud).
Make every day World Backup Day for your organization.
The importance of backup is often overlooked by the latest security scare or large attack making headlines. In most cases, the focus is on other details rather than creating a plan to keep all data safe and available from any of these events. Both internal and external threats are on the rise. In today’s uncertain times, keeping data safe and recoverable is more important than ever.
iland Secure Cloud Backup provides integrated, secure, and cost-effective protection for your on-premises and cloud data, including Microsoft 365 data, to ensure you are back online following a data loss event. With multiple layers of defense including security, cloud backup, and air-gapped Insider Protection, iland Secure Cloud Backup can help organizations remove single points of failure to minimize the time and business impact of data loss. At the same time, businesses looking to modernize their existing data protection strategies, including eliminating cumbersome tapes, or improving long-term retention capabilities, iland’s Secure Cloud Backup offers an easy and cost-effective cloud solution for your offsite backup and archiving needs.
Let’s use World Backup Day as a deadline to create a backup and recovery plan of action. The increase in disastrous events, whether from nature, human error, cyber attacks or ransomware, makes it that much more critical for organizations to consider all that they have to lose. iland celebrates world backup day as a time to engage with organizations to create the right backup and recovery solution.
For more information: iland Secure Cloud Backup